For better or for worse, we live in a world today where we’re increasingly dependent on our mobile devices. Yes, we may be tethered to our gadgets, but there is an upside, too: the many tools and resources available at our fingertips that can help us make smarter, healthier choices.
This semester we’re featuring phone apps that are designed with your health in mind. No smart phone? No problem! Both of these apps have companion websites as well.
Why We’re Fooducate Fans:
- It’s so easy! Just take a photo of a product’s bar code and get instant feedback on its nutritional info
- All products receive a grade (A through D) based on its nutritional value and ingredients
- Less than A-rated products come with suggestions for healthier alternatives
- Find special versions of the app for allergy-based and gluten-free diets
- Its database contains over 200,000 unique products (and it’s growing each day!)
- Fooducate was created by dieticians and won 1st Place in the 2012 US Surgeon General’s Healthy Apps Challenge for nutrition/healthy eating
Why We Love Lose It!:
- Its goal oriented! Simply track your food intake and physical activity to meet your personal health goals
- Easily follow and track daily calorie budgets, nutrient intake, and exercise routines
- Locate nutritional info with the bar code scanner or enter your own homemade meals and recipes
- Create custom reports on your progress on the app’s companion website
- Lose It! was awarded 1st Place in the 2012 US Surgeon General’s Healthy Apps Challenge for fitness/physical activity